Washington Island Police Department

1045 Main Road

P.O. Box 190

Washington Island, WI  54246

Phone (920) 847-2355   Fax (920) 847-2315

E-mail: washingtonislandpd@gmail.com

General Information


While walking or jogging along the road please go against the flow of vehicular traffic and wear bright clothing after dusk.


While riding a bicycle on the road you must obey the same traffic regulations as automobiles. Please do not ride multiple bicycles abreast causing vehicles to cross the double yellow lines. The use of a bike helmet and reflective gear is recommended.


Are dogs allowed on the beaches?

You may bring your dog to the beach, however, dogs must be on a leash at all times, except while on private property. Please clean up after your dog. Dogs are NOT allowed at SCHOOL HOUSE BEACH! This is our favorite swimming harbor on Washington Island. With all of the tourist and locals the beach becomes crowed and dogs at large can cause problems.

Can alcoholic beverages be consumed on the beaches?

Yes, alcohol may be consumed on the beaches, but not out of glass bottles. Public intoxication and underage drinking is strictly prohibited. Washington Island is a family community and any disorderly conduct will not be tolerated. You must have proof of age and identity readily accessible if consuming alcohol in public.

Are fires allowed on the beach?

Open fires are prohibited, only fires in the provided fire rings are acceptable.

Are fireworks allowed on the island?

Absolutely No Fireworks are permitted on the island without a permit. Permits MUST be present during display. Permits may be picked up at the Town Office Mon-Fri 8AM – Noon.

Can I drive a golf cart on the roads?

Golf carts, both electric and gas driven, are prohibited on town and county roads. This includes "low speed vehicles", “electric scooters”, “and utility vehicles” etc...

Am I able to register my vehicle through the police department?

We offer vehicle registration for auto, light trucks up to 8000 lbs and motorcycles. We also offer temporary plates. Please call for appointment.

What are the parking rules?

Parking is allowed alongside all town roads. Please park in accordance to Wisconsin s. 346.54 and 346.55. Please DO NOT BLOCK private driveways and intersections.

Is hunting allowed?

Always obtain permission to hunt on all private property.

Is rifle hunting allowed?

No, The Town of Washington, Door County has passed an ordinance (#2013-06) effective immediately. This means that you cannot deer hunt in the Town of Washington with a center-fired or rim-fired rifle. This ordnance is for the Whitetail deer hunting season (firearms hunt), Youth Hunt, and T-zone as identified by the annual regulation of the Wisconsin DNR. Upon conviction of the violation a forfeiture of not less than $500.00 nor more than $1000.00 will be issued. Each day the violation is committed shall constitute a separate violation.

Is there access to public boat ramps?

The town has two public boat ramps, one is located one block north of the ferry dock on right side and the other is located in Jackson Harbor next the Rock Island State Dock. Please park vehicles and trailers in appropriate marked parking stalls.

Do I have to give my name when reporting criminal activity?

To effectively combat crime in a neighborhood, it is important that citizens get involved and provide their names and act as complainants and/or witnesses. However, if you are uncomfortable about providing your name, address or phone number, you can still report suspicious activity in your neighborhood. Citizens do not have to give their name, address or phone number when reporting suspected criminal activity. Citizens should tell the 911 Telecommunicator that they wish to remain anonymous and that they do not wish to speak to an officer. However, when you call 911 please be as specific as possible and provide as much information as you can to assist the responding officers. If callers do not give their name or are unwilling to be a complainant, the officer's enforcement options are greatly limited and enforcement action may not be possible based on the Constitution and laws of the State of Wisconsin.

How can I obtain a copy of a police/crash report?

Police Reports are prepared by the Washington Island Police Department other than traffic crash reports. To obtain a copy of a police report, requests must be made in writing and requests by mail, personal delivery, fax, e-mail or other means are accepted. All requests shall be submitted to the Door County Sheriff’s Department. The Records Clerk's office is located on the first floor in Door County Justice Building, 1201 South Duluth Avenue, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235. Please note that it may take up to five working days for a report copy to be obtained.

Crash Reports are prepared whenever there is an automobile accident. Copies of crash reports are available at http://www.docview.us.com. Please have ready your report number and incident date that was given to you by the officer on scene. These reports are available for island crashes only. If your crash occurred in Door County, contact the Records Clerk's office is located on the first floor in Door County Justice Building, 1201 South Duluth Avenue, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235. Please note that it may take up to five working days for a report copy to be obtained.

Does Washington Island have a curfew ordinance?

Yes, curfew for residents 17 years of age and younger is enforced by the police department. Under City Ordinance the parent or guardian of a minor found to be in violation of the curfew ordinance may also be cited.

Does the Washington Island Police Department provide fingerprinting?

The Washington Island Police Department provides a rolled ink fingerprint service to both residents and non-residents of Washington Island. The rolling fee is $15.00. Applicants must provide the required fingerprint card(s) and valid photo identification. For more information regarding the fingerprinting service contact 920-847-2355. For more information regarding any of the services provide by the Washington Island Police Department, please feel free to contact us at (920) 847-2355.

Back to top